Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 48

I did some errands, said some swears, visited with Kate and then off to see the Neil.

In either the Villager or the Killingly Reminder- somebody has the task of taking a photo of something super close up, and challenging the readers to identify what it is. I think there's some sort of prize, but I always enjoyed that sort of abstract technique.

When I took my photography class in college, I had to put together a self portrait portfolio basically- something that showed who I was. Interestingly, there were very few photos of ME. There was on of me sticking out my (pierced) tongue, one taken with my feet up on the coffee table, wearing my birkenstocks, and one of me in bed. My favorite place to be...

This is a photo of that picture- it's not in great shape.


The rest of the photos were of my friends- they were such an interesting assortment of people... and they defined me.

My point was though, and why I brought this project up at all- was on each left page (the right page in the book was a human shot) was a shot of a tree. All black and white- just getting right in there with the mangled mess of bark and knots and branches. You knew they were trees, but you couldn't see the whole thing and couldn't identify its location. I liked that. It was my self portrait portfolio and to me- the way I shot those trees was like me- you could see parts of me, but nobody ever saw the whole thing.




Those were my first license plates. I kept them after CT switched over to the new plates. I liked them quite a bit. I wish I had a longer range on my lens. I need a new lens! and a job!

No comments: